Amcor Rigid Packaging Colombia operations now powered with solar energy

Ann Arbor, MI, United States

Amcor Rigid Packaging´s (ARP) Cali plant in Colombia is now powered by renewable solar energy. The solar energy is supplied to Amcor exclusively from Celsia, a new solar plant comprised of more than 16,000 solar panels generating nearly nine million watts of electricity. Incorporating solar power means the Cali Colombia plant is fully powered by renewable energy – a blend of solar and hydroelectric power.

Adding solar power will reduce the plant's conventional electric energy consumption by 20%. The remaining 80% of energy used to fuel the plant is provided by renewable hydroelectric energy, also certified by Celsia. In addition, the transition between solar and hydroelectric energy will reduce total emission of 7,388 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year.

“This is a major milestone for Amcor, as its Cali plant is the first of its kind to be powered by a nearby, large-scale solar plant built and operated by Celsia, exclusively for Amcor,” said ARP Centro America, Caribbean, and Colombia General Manager Alexander Álvarez.

As a result of this move, all of ARP’s Colombia operations are now powered by renewable energy. This shift to 100% renewable energy supports Amcor´s global 2050 net-zero emissions goals. “By embracing this renewable energy solution, Amcor's Cali plant is reducing its reliance on the local electrical grid, decreasing its carbon footprint, and bringing us one step closer to achieving Colombia's net zero emissions goal,” added Alvarez.

As part of Amcor's commitment to the environment, the company will continue to adopt renewable energy and efficiency solutions, optimize product and material transport, and develop a lower carbon waste infrastructure across its supply chain, encouraging the mission to reduce greenhouse gas intensity by 60% by 2030 and achieve net zero emissions by 2050.

PETnology's Resource Guide
comPETence center

The comPETence center provides your organisation with a dynamic, cost effective way to promote your products and services.

Find out more

Our premium articles

Find our premium articles, interviews, reports and more
in 3 issues in 2023.

Find out more
Current issue