The R-PET Big Bag - A contribution to the careful use of resources and the prevention of marine pollution
Boxon converts PET bottles from Indonesia into new big bags. In this way, Boxon helps to reduce local plastic waste and to prevent marine pollution. After use, the R-Pet Big Bag can be recycled again. This makes Boxon Europe’s only supplier of Big Bags made completely from recycled materials.
The R-PET System
How a used plastic bottle becomes a Big Bag Boxon GmbH
The R-PET System Plastic waste is collected from landfill sites and by individuals, who deliver it to one of the several collection points in Indonesia. At least 10 % of the materials are marine litter, originating from beaches and coastal areas. After delivery to the processing site, all steps, from cleaning and sorting to the production of the Big Bags, take place in the same facility.
The R-PET Big Bag
When it comes to quality, the R-PET Big Bags meet the same high quality standards as Boxon's FIBC made from polypropylene. Just as for the other products, the customer benefits from flexible customization options and a Big Bag that is ideally adapted to its goods. 1 kg of woven R-PET is made from 25 bottles of 1,5l. This means, 50 PET bottles are used for the production of an average 2 kg Big Bag.
High quality Big Bag
- Flexible customization possibilities incl. printing
- 50 x PET bottles =1rPET Big Bag of 2kg weight
- 96 % R-PET - 4 % additives
- No additional UV stabilization (PET is already UV stabilized)
- R-PET processing and Big Bag production from same source = 100 % traceable • Suitable for hotfill applications • ISO 9001certified production
The PET bottles are collected mainly from landfill sites, in coastal areas and on beaches. By re-using the material for the Big Bag-production, we prevent marine pollution and keep the carbon footprint low.
- Prevention of marine pollution • Effective re-usage of PET bottles
- Less ressource input
- Up to 25 % less CO2 emissions
- All steps from sorting and cleaning the bottles to processing and the production of Big Bags take place in the same facility, which means short ways and no re-transport or re-packaging.
- PET can be recycled and reprocessed multiple times without loss of properties. This makes it a very circular plastic if discarded correctly.
Thanks to the above mentioned caracteristics, Boxon R-PET Big Bags contribute directly to the Sustainable development Goals of the United Nations:
A sustainable partnership
As a globally operating packaging company, Boxon aims to proactively promote the sustainability dialogue within the sector and with all stakeholders. Boxon's mission is to develop the world‘s most intelligent and sustainable packaging solutions - that includes permanent optimization of products with regard to environmental aspects. The company expands offer and activities to reduce the carbon footprint and help companies to achieve their own environmental targets through by developing highly adapted sustainable packaging solutions.
Boxon GmbH is a member of the UN Global Compact and officially carbon neutral at all German sites. In 2019, it has been certified Ecovadis Gold Status for the activities of Corporate Social Responsibility in the second consecutive year.