The role of producers of bottling and packaging technology as SMI is particularly important for the success of companies operating in the “food & beverage” sector. Success which can be achieved only through an optimal combination of competitiveness, cost-effectiveness, efficiency and environment-friendliness of the manufacturing process. Creating systems and machinery that allow the achievement of this optimal “blend” is SMI's main goal since the beginning of its activity, dating back to 1987.
SMI innovations meet the beverage and “liquid food” industry
SMI is a worldwide renowned provider of PET-bottling systems for liquid products, committed to providing the most innovative and sustainable solutions either as single machines and complete lines.
The newly designed bottling and packaging machines are the outcome of many years of advanced research in SMI's R&D labs and stand out for low power consumption, high performances and a quality/price ratio among the best in the market.
Stretch-blow moulding solutions: a flexible approach to the customer’s needs.
Regardless of whether the beverages are carbonated or still liquids, whether the bottles are simple or most sophisticated design, SMI meets any individual requirements and ensures high performances in the stretch-blow moulding of PET, PEN and PP bottles.
EBS ERGON blow-moulders: the latest innovation by SMI for the production of PET containers up to 33,600 bph
The new EBS (Electronic Blowing System) ERGON series is the outcome of a 2-year intensive R&D project thanks to which SMI has introduced innovative concepts, summed up in the new ERGON brand, for both the design and production of SMI's rotary stretch-blow moulders. The first EBS ERGON was rolled out last October to SMI sales network on the occasion of the opening of the new showroom at SMI headquarters located in San Giovanni Bianco (Bergamo).
SMI stretch-blow moulders are available both stand-alone (EBS series) and integrated into complete stretch-blow moulding, filling and capping systems (ECOBLOC® ERGON series).
The EBS ERGON series of stand alone stretch-blow moulders includes:
- 7 “standard” models, from 4 to 16 cavities, capable of producing bottles from 0.10 to 3 litres, with a maximum output of 2,100 bph/cavity; (*)
- 3 “HC – High Capacity” models, from 3 to 6 cavities, specifically designed for the production of high-capacity containers (from 3.5 to 10 litres) with a maximum output of 1,200 bph/cavity;
(*) *depending on the machine model and the container type and size.
Top-notch reliability and efficiency. Why to choose SMI EBS stretch-blow moulder.
The new EBS ERGON blow-moulder is more robust, more compact, more flexible, more efficient if compared to the previous range thanks to a series of cutting-edge technical innovations:
- compact, ergonomic and functional frame, capable to considerably simplify its running, cleaning and maintenance operations and to ensure significant space saving in the bottling line
- new preform heating module, characterized by compact dimensions, horizontal frame of the preform-holding mandrel chains (37 mm pitch for the production of bottles up to 3 L) and an optimized ventilation system. The new heating module is equipped with heat-reflecting, high energy efficiency panels made of composite materials positioned both on the front and to the rear of the he at lamps in charge of preforms heating. It ensures a high reflection of the heat generated by the lamps and its more uniform distribution on the preforms surface.
- blow-moulding module equipped with motorized stretching rods whose functioning is controlled by electronic drives with no need of mechanical cams. This new technology enables a precise descent of the stretching rod, an accurate control of its position, remarkable energy savings along with a reduced stress generated by the vibrations of mechanical components. Moreover, this new technology enables to adjust the stretch-blowing speed without mechanical interventions (cams replacement)
- high performance, low dead volume valves system which has reduced the pre-blowing and blowing times with the subsequent great advantage in terms of machine's efficiency and quality of the final bottles
- automation and control by Motornet System®, which ensures the constant keeping of optimal working parameters during the whole production cycle and directly adjusts the machine's settings, simplifying format changeovers
The ECOBLOC® ERGON series of integrated systems of blowing-filling-capping includes:
- ECOBLOC® ERGON VMAG/VMAS models, ideal for manufacturing, filling and capping rigid containers up to 3 liters for still liquids;
- ECOBLOC® ERGON LG-VMAG / LG-EP models, ideal for manufacturing, filling and capping rigid containers up to 3 liters for sparkling liquids;
- ECOBLOC® ERGON “HC – High Capacity” models, ideal for manufacturing, filling and capping rigid high-capacity containers (up to 10 liters) for still liquids.
The advantages of the ECOBLOC® ERGON integrated solutions.
The ECOBLOC® ERGON series offers the end user countless economic benefits such as:
- modular and compact design, which combines in a single block the stretch-blow moulding, filling and capping modules, with no need for connecting belts between blow moulder and filler;
- low consumption of water and energy, thus allowing low running and maintenance costs and safeguarding the environment;
- excellent accessibility and easy maintenance operations, thanks to the “baseless” technology of the filling module; in fact, motors and motion transmissions are placed in the upper part of the machine in a fully dry leak-tight area and the area underneath the containers to be filled is completely clear, ensuring easy access to operators;
- automation and control system allowing the management of the system by only one line operator through a simple and user-friendly man-machine interface;
- capping module: top-notch precision and functionality; the capping machine is equipped with a servo-driven control to ensure maximum precision while applying caps;
- cap hopper feeding placed outside the machine at a height easily accessible by the machine operator;
- electronic filling system: no contact between the bottle and the filling valve (in case of still products).
The idea takes shape
- Advanced 3D CAD Department for the design and graphic processing of the bottles;
- accurate analysis of the customer’s requests;
- design of different containers, featuring various shapes, from the simplest to the most sophisticated;
- special laboratory for the production of moulds and mechanical components;
- moulds made of a special aluminium alloy;
- more than 15.000 moulds produced per year;
- a top-quality level of the moulds fabricated;
- company equipped with an FMS line consisting of 12 CNC machining centres: highly automated machines, running 7 days a week round the clock;
Preform and bottle check
- modern laboratory, equipped with sophisticated technologies for preform check;
- preform size test through a video-camera and special software comparing the dimensional parameters, measuring their thickness by infra-red rays and verifying the polymer homogeneity through polarized light equipment;
- testing of new materials or applications, especially multi-layer or hot filling preforms.
- Testing of the bottle design in order to certify and guarantee that the bottles meets pressure and volume expansion.
Bottling and packaging complete lines
SMI is specialized in the design, manufacturing and installation of complete lines for bottling and packaging flat and carbonated beverages and liquid products in PET containers from 0.10 to 10 L and with output capacity from 3,600 to 33,600 bottles/hour
SMI’s proposals ranges from complete economical and compact lines to complex and articulated solutions, with a wide range of intermediate products that can satisfy any present and future requirement in terms of production speed, product to be packaged, level of automation and environmental conditions.
An advanced automation and control system, equipped with sophisticated sensors distributed all along the bottling line, enables to achieve high machine yields in all of the steps of the manufacturing process; furthermore, highly-automated equipment allow optimising the employment of raw materials, work force and energy resources thus improving the environmental and social compatibility of the solutions proposed.
Bespoke solutions for every need
An accurate design of a complete bottling line, an appropriate sizing of machines and equipment and a smooth running of the whole system are essential factors enabling food & beverage sector companies to produce efficiently, to cut manufacturing costs and to achieve a good competitive edge on the markets they are focussing on.
Cost-saving compact lines. An environment-friendly solution that saves money.
SMI offers complete bottling and packaging lines equipped with cutting-edge technological solutions for energy saving and cost reduction.
SMI innovative technical solutions enable to dramatically cut the production costs of each bottle produced by the plant thanks to specific devices designed to save energy and streamline production cycles of every machine in the plant.
A “cost-saving” bottling line is made up of two blocks of machines whose high integration enables to cut space requirement, costs and consumptions:
- the first block is composed of an ECOBLOC® ERGON gathering into a single unit the functions of stretch-blowing, filling and capping (also labelling upon request);
- the second block, called PACKBLOC and specific for the end-of-line packaging, is composed of an automatic machine for secondary packaging integrated with a two-Cartesian-axis automatic palletization system.
If compared to traditional bottling plants made up of more "stand-alone" machines linked together by long stretches of conveyour belts, the cost-saving compact lines enable to reduce the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) thanks to:
- lower initial investment, since the two units allow to remarkably cut the length of the conveyor belts installed in the bottling and packaging plant;
- lower personnel costs, since the two block of machines can be run and controlled by a reduced number of operators (in particular cases one operator only might take care of the whole system);
- fewer interventions of machine maintenance and cleaning and lower consumption of spare parts, since the whole line is composed of just two multi-functional units;
- energy costs cutting, since only high-efficiency and low consumption motors are used.
Automatic palletization systems
SMI palletising systems set a new standard in the industry of two-Cartesian-axis fixed-column robotic palletizers.
APS series is the outcome of an intense activity of research and innovation, which allowed producing technologically advanced systems capable of providing each user with the fittest packaging solutions according to his specific needs.
SMI palletising systems enable to streamline the end-of-line operations of countless industrial sectors: beverages, food, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, detergents, glass, paper and many more.
SMI palletisers meet production needs from 35 to 90 packs/minute (according to the size of the product handled and to the palletisation scheme selected) and are available in many configurations, both in "stand-alone" version and integrated with a SMI packer to form a Packbloc system.
Smipass: the access key to after-sales support
SMI's customers can take advantage of the countless benefits coming from information & computing technology by using Smipass, the new Internet-based service of after-sales technical support.
Smipass is a section of Smigroup's web site clustering in a dedicated area all of the on-line services for after-sales support, from where SMI customers, after logging-in, can also access anytime on real-time an ever-updated database of technical information relating to the machine they have purchased.
The range of services offered by SMI is constantly evolving and includes solutions meant to quickly and effectively respond to the requests of on-site and on-line technical assistance, of machine updating and of staff training; SMI service areas involved in their satisfaction are: Technical Support, Spare parts & Upgrades, Manuals and Training.
Upgrades: the benefits of the latest technologies within everybody's reach
Thanks to an intense activity of Research & Development, SMI machines are constantly innovated and enhanced by adding new models and variants equipped with the latest technology; the latter enables the machine's end user to benefit from greater operating flexibility, lower production and maintenance costs and higher energy efficiency.
All customers who wish to improve the efficiency and streamline the performances of their machines can take advantage of a broad offer of upgrades, new applications and additional functions that SMI has created for packers, blowmoulders and palletizers. Upgrades are installed by specialized engineers of SMI's after-sales service, in order to ensure a perfectly done job and a quick restart of the machine.
All you have to do is to access “SmyUpgrades” section of Smipass reserved area and pick the type of upgrade package that better suits your production needs or the benefits you want to get (cost reduction, process automation, energy saving, efficiency boost, etc.). Through a reasonable investment each SMI's customers can easily and quickly adapt his bottling and packaging plants to new market trends and upgrade them to the latest technologies.
The SMI Group in the world
The SMI Group operates outside Italy through a widespread network of branches and representative offices.
SMI: Ready for Drinktec
OK! We're saying it to you through a bottle featuring a very original design, which depicts the popular gesture of approval with the stretched hand and the thumb up.
OK! At Drinktec SMI is ready to show you the latest news of the bottling and packaging industry, like...